Sunday, March 20, 2011

Effects of the Media

If I were asked the question: Are the effects of media on children, teens, and adults prosocial or antisocial? I would not be able to pick just one because the media displays both. Yes there are a lot of negative effects from the media as I have blogged about, but there are also many positive. When it comes to children and teens and how they will be affected I think this is up to their parents or guardians. I don't think they should be allowed to have liberty to the remote and watch whatever they feel like, it’s just not safe. Some children may not be affected by violence but there are those that are extremely affected and it shows when they go to school or are around other children and lash out in the violence they have viewed on the television.
But I don’t think that the positive effects of the media should ever be forgotten. As a few of my previous blogs have said there are many great outcomes from the media that are prosocial. I think having educational programs for all ages is great to have because it allows both entertainment and learning.
The effects of the media will always be a controversial issue; I think people just need to be careful with what they watch or what they allow their child to watch. Without even realizing it you or your child can be affected by what you see on the television even if its intentions aren't bad. With this said, choosing a side with the question “does the media cause prosocial or antisocial effects?” is just not possible because it truly is both.
Now I want you to stop for a second and think about the shows you watch on TV. Are the prosocial? Antisocial? Both? I hope you will take what I have blogged about and think about it the next time you sit down and watch the television, or maybe even stop for a second and see what your child is watching and think of the effects it might have on them.
And as always feel free to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment